Number of vacancies: 1
Category: PhD Student (PHD 1)
Workplace: Split between the offices of the Port of Barcelona and the offices of CENIT, Campus North of UPC, Barcelona.
Salary gross: 25.921,26 €
Working hours: Full time
Contract type: Predoctoral contract
Duration: 3 years
The candidate will be integrated in the Center for Innovation in Transport (https://cenit.es/), a Research Group of CIMNE, to develop a PhD on the core theme of E-commerce, financed by the Port of Barcelona (https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2021-15216). The PhD will be completed in collaboration with the Department of Strategy and Innovation of the Port of Barcelona and with continuous interaction with the whole Port Community of Barcelona and other international ports.
Functions to be developed:
- Research on e-commerce, advanced port logistics and new relationship models in the logistics chain. E-commerce has grown exponentially in the last decade and the coronavirus crisis has accelerated its development. Among other relevant aspects, the impacts at the port level that will be analyzed are, but not limited to, the demand for space for distribution centers and warehouses; the demand for flexibility, agility and price from all suppliers in the logistics chain; the very high growth of logistics employment in peak periods (Black Friday, Christmas etc.) and the increase in the digitalization of port operations. The broader concept of Port Centric Logistics and advanced logistics during the passage of goods through the Port will also be investigated, along with new business models associated with both 3D printing and logistics and the analysis of new models of urban or metropolitan distribution of goods from ports. In addition, the automation and robotization of certain processes in the logistics chain, such as container terminals or document management, will be the subject of research along with other emerging trends that develop in the course of the doctorate.
- Writing scientific papers in indexed journals and participation in national and international conferences related to the research carried out for the doctoral thesis.
- Publication of articles and White Papers on the innovation platform of the Port of Barcelona, PierNext.
Other required skills (not mandatory):
- Master in civil, industrial, naval or transport engineering or in economics.
- Fluent in Spanish and English (written and spoken), other languages are appreciated.
- Scientific publications in the field of transportation.
- Experience in innovation and research projects
- Experience in maritime and/or port sector.
- Knowledge in operational research.
The requisites and merits will be evaluated with a maximum note of 100 points. Such maximal note will be obtained summing up the following points:
- Education: 15%
- Experience in the field of maritime and port sectors: 10%
- Knowledge in operational research: 5%
- Scientific publications: 10%
- Language skills: 10%
- Experience in innovation and research projects: 10%
- Interview: 40%
Candidates must complete the "Application Form", indicating the reference of the vacancy and attaching the required documents.
The deadline for registration to the offer ends on December 2nd, 2021 at 12 noon.
The preselected candidates may be requested to send the documentation required in the "Requirements" and "Merits" sections, duly scanned, and may be called to go through selection tests (which might be of eliminatory nature) and / or personal interviews.