The general strategic objectives of the project are three fold: 1) to identify areas of mutual RTD interest in the relevant green technological areas, in particular between the European and Chinese partners; 2) to develop prospective and interactive concepts of collaboration in areas focused on protecting the environment and the energy supply between the European and Chinese partners; 3) to prepare specific RTD activities for joint proposals in HORIZON 2020.
GRAIN2 will gather engineers, designers and scientists from multi physics and computer scientists to prospect new solutions to:
- improve the local and global environmental compatibility of future aircraft and aero engine,
- increase the knowledge of greener multidisciplinary design processes;
- increase the knowledge of engine exhaust emissions;
- improve the airport environment;
- facilitate the industrial production of sustainable alternative fuels.
Integration of these prospects will foster a collaborative understanding between scientists and technologists and increase the dissemination of the relevant knowledge of greening both the aircraft and the engine and greening the airport.
Expected achievements of GRAIN2:
- the identification of greener technologies via new large scale simulation tools and the investigation and evaluation of their maturity and benefits in confidence;
- the development of strategies for their implementation into greener digital aircraft/engine;
- the multidisciplinary assessment of candidate greener technologies for digital design configurations;
- the dissemination of GRAIN2 information and results via the GRAIN2 communication platform;
- the support on collaborative international joint projects;
- inputs for coordinated calls in HORIZON 2020
Key Green Technology area
The organization of the activities of the GRAIN project has been defined around the following four (1-4) vertical Key Green Technological areas:
plus(5) a dissemination and communication platform for Collecting and Prospecting Green Applications that will give traversal support to all KGTs.
Each of these Key Green Technological areas will be associated to one of the project Work Packages (WP). Each WP will have one European and one Chinese leader:
List of Work Package (Leaders)
WP1 (KGT1) Propulsion related green technologies (EU: EADS-IW, VKI, CH: ACAE, BUAA)
WP2 (KGT2) Airframe Flight Physics (EU: KTH, UPM, CH: IACAS, NUAA)
WP3 (KGT3) Environmental friendly materials and structures (EU: DLR, CH: ASRI/BIAM)
WP4 (KGT4) CNS/ATM for greener air transport(EU: NLR, CH: HUST)
WP5 Technical and Strategic Platform for Green Applications (EU: CIMNE, CH: CAE)
WP6 GRAIN2 dissemination activities (EU: CIMNE, CH: CAE)
WP7 Management (EU: CIMNE, CH: CAE)
Work Package structure will be as follows:
In order to facilitate and to simplify the understanding and daily work of the partners, the Project is structured following the definition of the Key Green Technologies (KGT). Work packages1 to 4 are directly related to a KGT, and will include all the related work: study of the state of the art in the corresponding technology in Europe and China, organisation of asynchronous events in Europe and/or China, analysis of future and emerging technologies, prospective of existing technologies that could be transferred from other fields, always regarding the following four main aspects:
- Modelling: it includes understanding the involved processes and how they are modelled through experimental and numerical solutions.
- Experimentation: is devoted to provide physical tests information for each of the phenomena related to each KGT.
- Simulation: numerical simulation is a parallel line to experimentation and seeks for the best numerical model that can help to easily predict the real behaviour.
- Optimization: taking advantage from the three aspects mentioned above, optimization is looking for the best configuration, design or device that helps to improve the cutting-edge technology of each KGT.
WP5 gives support to all the rest of WPs involving:
- The construction of a project repository where all project documents will be stored.
- The development of a flexible and robust communication platform allowing to exchange of any type of data (documents, data files, presentations, codes, etc.) between partners in order to give support to the activities of the different KGTs.
- A database for storing any type of information collected by the project.
- Special care will be taken when communicating between Europe and China in order to avoid problems with low speed connecting networks.
WP6 involves all 5 KGTs and ensures the required events to transfer knowledge between partners and to the global scientific and technological world. Events will be opened to the general public, and people outside the consortium will join meeting and workshops to enrich the background and find cutting-edge technologies available in the market. When possible, these events will be organised in connection with major congresses/conferences that will provide a good visibility and a significant amount of participants.
The activities of the different KGTs will be organised taking into account their specific particularities. Those KGTs whose topics have already been present in past GRAIN project will take advantage of the already existing outputs like states of the art, identification of potential RTD activities, etc. On the other side, KGTs corresponding to new topics will require some more effort for the identification of future collaborative activities.Each KGT will organize its own internal events: meetings in Europe and/or China, teleconferences, collection of state of the art, etc. The activities of KGTs will be asynchronous in time and they will be reported during the global events and M12 and M24 and in the M12 and Final Reports.